It’s
winter here in Dunedin: 30 degrees and rainy for a couple of days. But we’ll take this winter over any in Idaho—any day. Today it's been 60 degrees with a warm breeze at times, stronger wind at others, blowing
throughout the day. Look what grows in the winter.
![]() |
| Along our Walk on Forbury Road |
When we heard of 102 degrees in Middleton, we had to ask
ourselves if that’s where we really want to settle down after our mission. Not
sure, but there’s a lot of time between now and then to “sort it out.”
In the
Quiet Heart
To
begin this blog we thought it might be interesting to share an experience that
witnessed to us that God is aware of his children, and that we must be open to
his nudges and promptings in order for him to reconnect with them through
us. For, as Alma teaches: “the Lord works through means to bring about his great
and eternal purposes” (Alma 37:7). We are often his “means.”
At the
close of the 1st Ward meetings, the Elders asked if I would take
them home.
I got
back to the Dunedin 2nd Ward’s meeting during the sacrament service.
I waited in the foyer to take the sacrament, before joining JannaLee on the
back row in the chapel. While I was waiting for the water, a man came into the
church. He was well dressed. I glanced at him, nodded, then went back to
thinking about the Savior. While pondering, I had an
impression that after the administration of the sacrament, I should introduce
myself to the man and invite him to sit with JannaLee and me. I determined to
do so, then went back to my thoughts. After the water had been
administered (I noticed the man refused taking it), a woman with her three
children showed up. (I found out later that the woman’s name is Ana.) She began
chatting with the man, so that when the Ethan opened the chapel door to invite us
in, I felt I would be intruding upon his and Ana’s conversation if I were to
introduce myself.
As I
got up to go inside, the impression to introduce myself came again. So this
time I turned and walked over and stuck my hand out to the man, telling him my
name and asking his. His name is Martin Hoskings. I asked him if he’d like
to sit with JannaLee and me. He said he’d like that very much. In
the middle of the meeting the Priesthood brethren went to the front and sang “Ye Elders of
Israel.” On his way up, Joel Gaastra (the newly sustained Elder’s Quorum
President) invited me to join the group. Without hesitating, I turned to Martin
and invited him to join me. We walked to the stand and sang the hymn together
with the rest. After taking our seats, Martin whispered to me that I have a
good voice.
The
meeting was good. The focus was upon the restoration of the Melchizedek
Priesthood and the blessings we enjoy through the restoration of priesthood
keys in our day. After the meeting, Martin volunteered that it has been a long
time since he’s been to church, but that he felt it was time to return. He
appreciated so much my invitation. He had been an executive secretary to
President Smith a long time ago, but had fallen away from the church. He had
been thinking of the negative example he was setting for his 12 and 9 year-old
sons. This had moved him to want to become active again. But he had come to
church concerned about what people would think of him. He wasn’t sure how to
“come back,” he said. When I reached out to him, he felt at ease. “It
will be alright,” he said.
This
experience has reaffirmed to us that we really do not know what is going on in
the lives of the people with whom we associate. But God does.
The
Orokunui Eco Sanctuary
Could the Tui song be any lovlier,
any more magical—more beautiful and pure?
This
is one of the thoughts I had as I walked with June and the others in our group
on our tour in Orokonui Eco Sanctuary today. The sanctuary spans about 740 acres.
It's dedicated to preserving the native wildlife of New Zealand--skinks, other lizards, and especially the Kiwi and other birds. There are no predators allowed. A fence has been erected, buried into the ground so the killers can't dig under, and curled back on itself at the top so they can't crawl over. There are two gateways that one must go through in order to go in and come out. It's quite a place.
Tahu Mackenzie was our tour guide.
She’s a rare gem: a precious spirit, not just a forest fairy, but the spirit of
the sanctuary itself.
![]() |
| Any guesses as to which one is Tahu? |
Tahu dresses in a quirky, flamboyant manner,
complementing her unusual personality made up of boyish explosions and girlish
gestures, her speech a combination of Kiwi and Maori that erupt into rough
expressions, toning down to delicate encouragements, which modulate into an
almost prayer-like chant. She loves all the “beautiful people.” She is keen on
what she conveys as the miracle of nature. She loves to spot poo on the trail. June says Tahu is
obsessed with poo. But what she loves to do is point out whose poo we’re
looking at, and what makes it different from the other creatures’ poo.
![]() |
| Here Tahu is explaining how the "Farting Bush" uses its odor to keep from being eaten by bugs. |
I would love to know her personal story. At one point,
Tahu and I were paired off. She spoke with me about the Kiwi birds and the Taku: a flightless bird as big as a turkey.
As she did, she lost her quirky personality for a time, and
spoke with me adult-to-adult. Even so, she didn’t lose her purity and sweetness
that are truly enchanting.
![]() |
| The Taku: Tahu's favorite bird. |
The
Southland Zone
Not
much to say about this photo, except to point out that it was taken when the
Southland Zone had its Zone Training about a month ago. Recognize anyone?
Getting
Ready for the Mid-Winter Festival
JannaLee, the girls, and I made lanterns for the Mid-Winter Festival coming up in
another week. It’s Dunedin’s way of celebrating the Winter Solstice. Ryan came
with the girls last year. Bea asked us if we would take the girls this year.
Olive whispered to me that Ryan had said it was the worst experience of his
life—well, one of them. Even so, we ventured forth.
As we worked and laughed
together, creating the framework for the lanterns was quite fun. Olive and I
worked together; June and JannaLee worked together.
But when it came to putting
on the papier-mâché, the work became tedious at best.
It was an exercise in
patience: a Buddhist exercise in self-control and becoming.
For Ryan it was
excruciating last year. For us this year? Not so hard, although it took us
about 3 and half hours to complete our lanterns from start to finish.
The
Queen’s Birthday
Last
Monday Dunedin closed down except for some restaurants and stores that
sacrificed staying open, allowing us the “bleesing” of paying 15% gratuity for
the privilege of eating with them. We visited the Knox Church. Inside there is
an impressive spiral staircase.
Outside were some impressive missionaries.
![]() |
| Elder Edward told us to say "Church" when taking the picture. JannaLee obeyed. |
We
ate at Capers. I bought a grey lightweight wool cardigan sweater. In the
evening all of us ate at the Lone Star. I had the Johnny Cash; JannaLee the
Honkey Tonk Chicken. Both are to die for.
Kia
Ora
That’s
all this time around. We love being missionaries. We love learning our duty through
the Lord's tender and patient direction. We look forward to attending a special conference with
Elder Pearson, our Area President, Sister McConkie and Sister Reeves, from the
General Young Women and Relief Society Presidencies of the Church. We pray for you all morning and
night—and even throughout the day. God bless us all to live true to him and his Son
through keeping our covenants always.
Until
next time,
Elder and Sister Ward


















No comments:
Post a Comment