We’re
not sure how your days feel, but the days fly by here in New Zealand. By the
end of the day we’ve done too many things to write comfortably in a journal—but
we try, just the same.
For
instance, I’ve just finished a couple of entries having to do with the miracle
of a brother turning to Christ in order to kick his life-long addiction to
alcohol. After years of trying all he could think of, the conditions were
right. I was inspired while giving him a ride to church. “So John,” I began,
“Where is Christ in all this? Where is Jesus in all that you are doing to
overcome your addiction?” As I wrote in my journal, he spoke somewhat in
general terms about believing in God and praying for strength. But after church
on the way back to his flat, he commented on how he had never considered Christ
important to the main focus of efforts. “As I thought about your question to
me, I began to feel happy, hopeful—like finally there would be a way to kick
this thing.”
Fast
forward. I gave John a blessing. In the blessing I told him that if he were
sincere; if he were honest; if it was his desire to be delivered from his
addition; “in the name of Jesus Christ,” I said, “you may be healed.” After the
blessing, John was smiling. He hadn’t smiled like this since I’ve known him. I
asked him to explain. He said he finally sees how the Savior is the one through
whom he can truly kick his addiction. “It seems,” he said, “I had to have most
of my life crumble down around me, to watch all my efforts to kick this habit
fail, in order to see Jesus standing there in the ashes as my Savior.” John
said he felt hopeful, almost silly for feeling so happy for the revelation.
Four
days later, I asked John if he was going to the Detox center this week. He said
they wouldn’t take him in his condition. I asked him what was going on. He
said, “I’m six days sober.” To date John is nine days sober, and he continues
to live each day as one more success “relying wholly upon the merits of Christ,
who is mighty to save” (2 N. 31:19).
When
I consider John and the miracle he is currently living, I have to exclaim in
the words of Ammon: “Who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too
much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards
the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part
which I feel” (Alma 26:16).
JannaLee’s
been wondering when she was going to drive in New Zealand. Every time I have
broached the subject, she’s declined. But two days ago, while we were sitting
in the driveway of the Elders talking to one of our family, JannaLee got
impatient, told me to get in the passenger seat while she repositioned herself
in the driver’s seat and drove home. Another miracle. She just might get to a
point where she can go grocery shopping in South Dunedin on her own! (Don’t
worry. According to mission rules, we can be apart for short stints for grocery
shopping and the like.)
Watson Mark Ward
Weighing
in at 8 lbs. 4 oz., baby Watson was born the NZ Wards on June 17, 2016.
Fern is
in love. She wants to hold Watson all the time.
Bea puts Watson on Fern’s lap
while supporting both Fern and Watson on hers, and Fern sits there, looking at
Watson, stroking his head on occasion—in love—content to sit for hours.
Everyone else loves Watson, as well. We saw him for the first time since his birth two days ago. He was reasonably awake. He is handsome.
He resembles
Ryan (in his own way), and is a more cuddly version of his great, great, grandpa:
George D. Ward. Everyone we talk to about his birth can’t believe that he was
born on Bea’s birth day. “That’s pretty speetial,” they say. I think there’s
more miracle involved than we know.
June’s Birthday
June
wanted to go skating on her birthday—ice skating, that is. So Ryan took the
girls to the ice rink by our flat. Fern didn’t skate. The girls and Ryan and
others they went with pushed Fern in a wooden cart designed for ice pushing.
![]() |
| June, Wesley, Eden, Fern, Ange, and Ryan on the Ice |
June and Olive were quite confident in their skating. Ryan, on the other hand, was a good sport as he ventured out onto the ice, trying hard to keep his arms from flapping every once in a while as he felt himself losing control. To his credit he didn’t fall, but it was funny to watch him work to maintain his composure while skating out of his comfort zone.
JannaLee and I looked on from the sidelines.
Giving
June birthday presents is as much fun for the one giving as it us for June
receiving them.
June is ecstatic when she opens any present. It’s fun to watch her “light
up.”
All for a Peanut
It
happened so suddenly. I was driving down Lovelock Road, winding my way from
Ryan’s home to Dr. Tat Loo’s office. JannaLee had given me a handful of peanuts
from our peanut cup. I had thrown a few peanuts in my mouth before. This time
in an attempt to do the same, one peanut dropped out of my hand and onto my
chest. Without thinking, I glanced down to find the nut, being jarred to look up
in time to recognize that the left front tire was hitting the curb. The car
banged up and over the curb. I countered, steering the car back onto the road.
I was shaken. My heart was thudding in my chest. JannaLee had shouted during
the incident, so I knew I had scared her.
As
we drove the rest of the way down Lovelock Road I apologized to JannaLee over
and over. I felt so bad, so lame, so incompetent. She seemed to take matters in
stride until we began to hear a thumping noise coming from the left front wheel
well. My thoughts turned to a bent axle, a broken u-joint, and a hundred other
things that could have come unhinged or snapped, the names of which I have no
idea. JannaLee rolled her window down to listen. Sure enough the noise was
coming from that wheel well. We drove a block further and the noise became a
loud wabbling, flapping sound. At the intersection, JannaLee jumped out of the
car to check out the noise. “We have a flat,” she yelled through the window.
All we could do was turn left. There as soon as we made the turn was a parking
spot. We pulled in. We sat for a moment thinking about what we needed to do.
While
JannaLee called Dr. Tat Loo’s office to reschedule our appointment, I walked
around the car. The tire was flat. There was a two-inch puncture in the tire
where the blow-out must have occurred. I could see that the tread on the tire
was gone. When JannaLee looked at it she reminded me that she’s felt that we
should get our tires looked at; that we most likely needed new tires. I could see
as I surveyed the situation that she was right. We pulled out our owner’s
manual and thumbed to the section on changing tires. I could find the jack. I
found the crank. But there was no tire iron. We looked and looked. While we
looked in this place and that, a college-aged student walked up to us and asked
if he could help.
He said he has worked for his uncle in his automotive shop,
and was getting more training in that field. His name was Nico. Nico looked
throughout the car with us: lifting up the rear seat cushions, and looking
again and again in various places under front seats and in the trunk. No luck.
While we were chatting, I asked if Nico would be interested in learning about
the church with it’s family centered focus. He said he has his own church in
Balclutha where he lives. He wasn’t much interested. But he was curious about
the fact that when he got up this morning, he had an impression to put his
tools in his backpack. He disregarded the impression. I told him that was God
preparing him for the time that he would meet up with us. “Let that be a lesson
to you, Nico: live to pay attention to those whisperings in the future,” I
counseled.
To
lengthen an already long story, the mission bought four new tires. All is well
with the Corolla—so far. But now JannaLee is driving. I’m driving. Look out New
Zealand. There’s one more non-kiwi behind the wheel!
Hini's Baptism
Hini
Elliot has been taking the discussions from the Elders since February. She was
baptized last Saturday. She asked me to confirm her on Sunday.
![]() |
| Hini Elliot |
![]() |
| Great Cousin, Bethany Middlemiss, Lean Middlemis, Hini, JannaLee |
Last District Meeting
We enjoyed a wonderful district meeting.
We enjoyed a wonderful district meeting.
![]() |
| Elders Ward, Bowers, Andelin, Ramirez, Shaik, Parry, Clawson; Sisters Dial and Call |
We were blessed to recognize how
important it is for missionaries to work through the members of the ward—not as
one of many options in the work, but as the central means of hastening the work
of the Lord in preparation for his Second Coming.
Temple Preparation Class
JannaLee and I continue to enjoy teaching the Temple Preparation Class. JannaLee is becoming a good teacher, although she would deny this if she were to read it. (Yup: She’s denying it.)
JannaLee and I continue to enjoy teaching the Temple Preparation Class. JannaLee is becoming a good teacher, although she would deny this if she were to read it. (Yup: She’s denying it.)
A Simple Wedding
We attended the wedding of Teresa Wilson and Kacey Phillips on Saturday. Under the circumstances, it was a lovely affair.
We attended the wedding of Teresa Wilson and Kacey Phillips on Saturday. Under the circumstances, it was a lovely affair.
![]() |
| Theresa escorted by her two boys: DJ and her younger son |
Those involved were happy. And those of
us supporting them were made happy through their enthusiasm for all that was
taking place. While I witnessed the wedding and the reception that followed, I
couldn't help but think back on my own marriage to JannaLee in the Salt Lake
City Temple, and the temple marriages of all our children (who have been
married)--and others I've witnessed in the temple.
![]() |
| President Smith forgot to tell the congregation to sit down after the entrance of the bride. We stood for 10 minutes until I got his attention. A bit awkward. |
![]() |
| Theresa and Kacey |
![]() |
| Head Table from Our Vantage Point |
My thoughts were
distracted as I heard President Smith, at one point, invite the couple to
exchange their wedding vows. For some reason I heard him say, "And now you
may exchange your wedding vowels." You can imagine what I thought:
"A-E-I-Love-U."
The Mission We've Always Talked About
At the end of each day, we're drawn into moments in which it dawns on us that we’re serving the mission we’ve always talked about. It’s kind of surreal.
![]() |
| JannaLee took this on the way to our Conference in Christchurch |
At times it doesn’t seem possible. But then, when we consider what else
we should do while we’re here in Dunedin, we realize we have nothing better to do than to
serve the Lord. Doesn't that sound ideal? What a blessing!
Until
next time, with love,
Elder
and Sister Ward


















No comments:
Post a Comment