BACK TO BASICS
With this blog, I'm back to basics. I'm not sure what happened on the wordpress site, but I couldn't work with their webpage. So I'm learning my way on blogspot. This blog is a work in progress. But it's an effort to reach out, nonetheless, to let you know what's going on with us.
YOU
SHOULD SEE WHAT JANNALEE LOOKS LIKE

Waiting for WIFI has been a hair-raising experience. We always carry with us the thought that we’re not connected to the world; that there’s something “out there” that we’re missing; that if we had WIFI we could do our work better; that if we had WIFI at least our necks wouldn’t be bothering us for sitting on the stairs while robbing the Edwards of connection.
That’s
how we’ve been feeling before today. Today we got hooked up! I’m now sitting in
the living room, typing this blog, relaxed–except to wonder what happened to
the content I wrote two days ago. It was supposed to be saved. I was almost
finished with the blog. And now this evening I got into it to finish it off,
only to discover that I have to start over. The site says there’s a draft
somewhere here. But it’s nowhere to be found. With my luck, I’ll find it after
completing a whole new blog. It turns out that I didn't find it. What's more I lost the new one I created late into last night. This is an attempt to see if I can work on this webpage. Well, as the Kiwis say, “No Worries.”
MOTHER’S
DAY
It’s
been a couple of weeks since M-Day. But I thought I’d report on our celebration
here in Dunedin. JannaLee said it was the best Mother’s Day she can
remember–that is as far as sacrament meetings go. The program was intensely
spiritual, only to be taken to a higher high through Bea’s talk. The talks were
honest about how difficult it is to feel like one is the mother that everyone
is talking about. It seems that for many mothers, no matter how sincere the
compliment, how desirous one is to celebrate the love and care and
consideration of their mother, it makes that mother and all other mothers feel
guilty: either like they know they were never like that, or that they need to
start doing X, Y, and Z to measure up more.
Well
thanks to you all, JannaLee felt loved all the way through the day. And what
added to her day was the extra day she was able to celebrate your all being
mothers, as well. Here’s a bit of what JannaLee’s Mother’s Day was like.
Then
we went to Ryan and Bea’s. Ryan and Olive fixed a wonderful meal. We
topped it off with presents for the mothers:
![]() |
| Yea! A Map |
Bea was happy with our gifts to her:
![]() |
| I love all things "kitchen." |

Earlier in the day, the Sister Missionaries left a surprise for JannaLee to find as she walked out the door to our flat:
![]() |
| Best kind of “heart-attack.” |

There are other pictures of you she holds privately in her heart: pictures of loving you, pictures of gratitude for your being her daughters, pictures of holding you in her imagination and telling you how proud she is of you. Thank you for making her Mother’s Day so memorable.
MEETING
FOR MISSIONARIES
We’re learning what
meetings we need to attend. So far they have been enjoyable. Our District
Meetings are conducted by the District Leader. The presentations and
discussions are given and lead by the missionaries. We have enjoyed being
a part of the missionaries’ experience. We hear about it when we have them over
for dinner. But in our meetings there is a special spirit that moves us all to
become candid about our challenges and open in sharing thoughts that inspire
and edify.
They
are lovely, capable leaders. They were so accommodating to us. It’s obvious
that they trust senior couples. This makes us want to live worthy of their
trust.
During one
Zone Training Meeting we were given the challenge of completing a
scripture verse by finding clues throughout the building.


Our District won, as you can see. That afternoon I taught my basic pattern of insight to help the missionaries study their scriptures more effectively. I was in my element.


Our District won, as you can see. That afternoon I taught my basic pattern of insight to help the missionaries study their scriptures more effectively. I was in my element.
THE
WORK
We are
privileged to serve the Lord in two different Wards: Dunedin 1st and 2nd. Ryan
is the Bishop of the Dunedin 1st. He’s asked us to locate missing or
unidentified people in the Ward. This is taking courage on JannaLee’s and my
part: calling people, not knowing what their response will be, putting
ourselves out there to be lambasted. So far no lambasting–just one older
brother who said he told the leaders a while back that he didn’t want to be
contacted anymore. When I asked him his reason, he said that the church goes
totally against his conscience and what he believes. We didn’t get into the
particulars.
We’re
also going to be putting the Ward sacrament program together and printing it
for Sundays. I’m hoping that if they give us a key, I’ll be able to go over to
the church earlier in the morning, and fire up the heaters so the chapel is
warm come 9 am.
Ryan
has asked me to train Kelyn Witehira, the YM President. He feels overwhelmed by
his calling. But we’re making strides to help him feel confident in the Lord.
In the
Dunedin 2nd Ward, JannaLee and I are serving as Temple Preparation Teachers.
It’s been a bit challenging learning how each teaches–especially when one of us
feels to expand on some concept we hadn’t anticipated expanding in our
preparation. But the Lord is teaching us how to teach together.
We
gave talks in Dunedin 1st Ward last Sunday. JannaLee spoke on how her
experiences have taught her to trust the Lord. I spoke on how to develop trust
in the Lord. It was enjoyable to stand at the pulpit and to experience our
personal prophecy of serving missions in Dunedin coming true.
WINTERING
AT THE BEACH
One
afternoon Bea called. She said their family was going to the beach after Ryan
got home from work, would we like to go? We said yes. I assumed we were going
to go to Aaromoana Beach. This is the beach we went to last August when Bea was
so sick. It takes an hour one-way to get there. So I was preparing to be gone
for the rest of the night. Turns out they go to a beach just south of Dunedin.
It takes 10 minutes from our flat.

When we got there we realized that it was going to be cold. The wind was blowing quite strongly, and by the blue color of Fern’s lips we knew we had to take cover somewhere else.
We went back down to the playground just below the parking area of the beach. There we played for an hour or so. The wind was still blowing.




I prayed that we wouldn’t get sick like I did last August when we stayed out all afternoon because the sun was shining so brightly that it gave us the impression it should be warm. This time around we all played, talked, swung on the swings, and slide down the slide–well, not all of us.
But we
enjoyed the time we had together. And no one got sick!
OTAGO
DURING THE RAIN
On
another day, we had decided to go to the Eco Sanctuary for a home school
activity. There you can see all kinds of exotic birds, and lizards that are
older than dirt. We got up. It was raining. Not just raining like Rexburg rain
or Boise rain. Buckets. Drops the size of grapes. Sheets of rain blown
horizontally, this way then that–sometimes around in a circle. We figured the
Kiwis don’t let this kind of rain stop them, so we weren’t going to be stopped
either.
JannaLee
and I headed to Bea’s, windshield wipers on full. When we got there we began
preparing the girls for the rain. The phone rang. It was someone from home
school calling to say that the event had been cancelled. We were
disappointed–but only for a short while. We decided to go the Otago Museum
Discovery Center. There are all sorts of scientific displays that you can
interact with: an air canon shot by hitting the bottom of it like you would a
drum. There was a machine that measures how active your brain is. One person
sits on one side; the other on the other. You put this band around your head
then try to quiet your thoughts. The ball at the center of the table moves in
the direction of the person whose thoughts are most quiet. JannaLee went up
against me. I won. She said that only proves that a woman is always obliged to
think–it is in her nature. Olive challenged me. I won. I guess a woman’s brain
activity begins early. Either that or my senility is calming things down a bit
for me.
It was
underwhelming. No big burst of butterflies. Only a few flying out of a large
netted container as the trainer or anyone interested in helping her nudged them
into flight.
The
time we spent in that enclosure was enjoyable. Large butterflies the size of
birds would swoop down at us then change course.
The smaller ones would let us scoop them up carefully. They were content to sit on our finger, as you can see.




![]() |
| These butterflies are as big as a large hand. Inside the brown one's wings hides a vibrant blue color. |
The smaller ones would let us scoop them up carefully. They were content to sit on our finger, as you can see.




LEARNING
THE LORD’S MISSION FOR US
That’s
all this time around. Each day JannaLee and I serve here, we’re shown our
weakness that we might be humble. As we humbly appeal to the Lord to show us
what he wants us to do, the mission he has in mind becomes a reality to us. We
truly know through our experience here how dear all of us are to God. We are
his children, and he loves us with all the feeling of a tender, caring parent.
Christ is the center of his plan to get us back. The Plan of Salvation is the
means by which we can overcome all obstacles that may threaten to derail us. It
is also the plan through which we can experience all ordinances in order to
secure our place to live with him and each other as families. These are
simplistic seeming truths, things we’sve heard so many times before that they
may lose their special quality for us if we’re not careful to treasure
them. But when the Spirit witnesses of their truthfulness to one’s heart, they
become profound and new.
This
is our experience. We love you all. Thanks for your thoughts, your love, and
your prayers.
Elder
and Sister Ward










No comments:
Post a Comment