This post is different from the others. I'm posting a single account of an event I value deeply. Each time I reread it, I learn something new. As such I'm inclined to think others may benefit from considering my experience. I share it in that hope.
The plane climbed to 10,000 ft. The man sat there:
arms folded, eyes closed. I felt a burning within to invite him to learn more
about Christ, but I didn’t want to intrude on his sleep. What should I do? How
could I live true to my missionary purpose—especially after being instructed so
powerfully to do so during Zone Conference? So I prayed, asking Heavenly Father
to wake the man up (though a part of me secretly hoped he would sleep on). Not
long after, the flight attendant came by offering water. He didn’t want any.
Nor did I. But he was awake now, so the way was clear. Yet I couldn’t bring
myself to ask him the question. “What would he think of me? How would he
receive my invitation? Would he think me wierd, a crazy religious freak? Besides,
he looks grumpy. No telling what he might do or say.”
At this I was reminded of my own presentation: to look
at this man through Christ: to see the invitation I was trying to extend as a
blessing—not an imposition. As I saw this man through the Savior, he softened.
He didn’t look like the grump I first took him for. Instead he simply looked
tired.
So I leaned over toward him, touched his left
shoulder, and said: “You know, as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints I’m always looking for people who are interested in
learning more about Jesus Christ through his restored gospel. Would you happen
to be interested?” The man casually said, “No.” I then asked if he believed in
God. “Sometimes and sometimes not,” he said. I thought this a curious answer so
I asked him about it. “What are the conditions under which you believe in God?”
He said when things in life seem to be going well. “But these days,” he added,
“I can’t see God in all the chaos, in all the different ways people believe,
and the horrible things they are doing to each other.” “And yet,” I pressed,
“Do you believe in God these days?” He told me he thought he did. “I believe in
something,” he added as if trying to convince himself.
I told him I could understand how confusing the world
is for him, most likely because he doesn’t have a deeper purpose in life to
guide him on a day-to-day basis. He agreed. Then I said, “I don’t want to
impose upon you, but would you mind if I told you about a doctrinal perspective
that has been restored in our day, that gives me purpose, and is taught
powerfully in the Book of Mormon? It’s called the Plan of Salvation. Are you
interested?” He thought a moment then said he was.
For the next 25 minutes I taught him the Plan of
Salvation, emphasizing the central role of the Savior in the Plan and the
doctrine of agency. In doing so I was able to help him understand how God does
not want to impose even eternal life upon his children. So he calls prophets to
teach his children. Those who believe the prophets then teach their brothers and
sisters. I helped him understand that all people on the earth chose to follow
God’s plan in the pre-mortal world. “You did,” I emphasized. “But now you and
they—all of us—are given the choice to continue to live true to our pre-mortal
commitments to strive for eternal life, or not. Many will choose not to follow.
Others will choose Christ as they chose before.” I told the man that I hoped he
would choose to follow the Savior. If he did, he would be greatly blessed.
We talked about the calling of Joseph Smith the
Prophet of the Restoration; the Restoration of Christ’s Church; the translation
of the Book of Mormon, and the bringing forth of other revelations, doctrines,
ordinances, and principles.
By the time we were descending into Wellington, the
man’s countenance had changed. He had softened. He and I had laughed at various
times through our discussion. I asked him if he would want me to mail him a
Book of Mormon. He said he’d like that. When I asked for his contact
information, he gave me his card willingly—even cheerfully. I then said, “Just
so you feel more comfortable reading this book, I want to show you what we call
“The Book of Mormon Promise.” I opened my copy of the Book, took him to Moroni
10. We read verses 3-4. As we did, I emphasized the importance of prayerfully
reading the Book. If he would, I promised, God would bless him with a
manifestation of its truthfulness. He would then know for himself that it’s
teachings of Christ were true. He could then look to Christ in his life more
than ever before, and make future determinations on personal revelation from
God and Christ. The Great Plan of Salvation would become his personal plan by
which he could live in hope of life and salvation.
What’s interesting to me about this exchange is that
it began with an invitation to learn more about Christ though his restored
gospel. This man initially rejected this invitation. And yet, by helping him
understand what the restored gospel teaches about Christ through the Plan of
Salvation in the Book of Mormon, he became interested. This teaches us that
it’s not sufficient to simply ask people if they’re interested in learning more
about Jesus through his restored gospel. We need to help them understand what
the question implies, so that they are truly free to accept or reject it. What
is our missionary purpose? “To invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored
gospel.” Our brothers and sisters need both the invitation and the help. As full-time
missionaries we have been called and set apart to offer both. But might this not be God's purpose for member-missionaries, as well?
No comments:
Post a Comment