Tuesday, October 4, 2016

A LITTLE OF THIS AND A LITTLE OF THAT

The Bennetts

Larry and Lynda Bennett became friends during the tour we hosted for them last month. Before their release, the Bennetts were senior missionaries whose assignment was Family History Support for the Pacific Area. They travelled throughout the pacific regions conducting family history seminars for local church leadership and general member congregations, as well as individuals who want help in family history. They were up to Dunedin from Invercargill. Sister Bennett called me on a Monday afternoon, telling me that they couldn’t get in touch with any leadership in Dunedin. She was wondering if JannaLee and I could take them around Dunedin if they couldn’t meet up with the leadership or interested members.

While we were discussing places to go, I mentioned that we could drive out to Moeraki Boulders. They might enjoy seeing them, I said. JannaLee felt that they might want to see more of Dunedin, not sight-see beach areas. So I dropped the idea. When we met up in the morning, Lynda made a special point of wanting to see . . . you guessed it . . . the Moeraki Boulders. 

Lynda and Her Boulder
She said she’s been wanting to see them all her mission. (Guess who was inspired?) Our plans shifted to accommodate Lynda’s desire. 

We drove up to see the boulders and Shag Point. The tide was out. We haven’t seen the tide so low in the three times we’ve been out to see the boulders. As such, many more boulders than usual were exposed. 


There was lots of room to walk around, pause, look inside the geode-like structures while admiring the wind-waved tide pools surrounding some. 

David Sauntering through Boulders at Low Tide

Almost Prehistoric--But Wait: It is!


Lake Moeraki


It had been overcast and rather bleak when we started out. But the sun broke through the clouds. 










The sky “blued-up,” and, although the wind was a bit chilly, the late morning turned out to be gorgeous.



A Seagull Floating Against the Wind 5 ft Above Me


















By the day's end, we had toured Signal Hill, 

Lynda and Larry atop Signal Hill

the train station in Dundin, 

Duendin Train Station


St. Paul's Cathedral at the Octagon, 

On the Steps of St. Paul's. No Bird Woman?



and eaten at the Trojan nearby (formerly Nesli's Turkish Cafe). 

Opening Day for the Turkish Family We've Met: "The Trojan." Raziyela, the Mother, with Us

While trying to find our way into St. Paul's Cathedral, we laughed as we thought of how our day had turned out. "Boulders and Beaches and Buildings . . . O, my."

Tino’s Progress

We have felt it to be such a blessing to teach Tino the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Tino is reserved in her personality, but there is an excitement in her eyes as we talk about The Plan of Salvation, the First Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel, the Restoration—and today, the Laws and Commandments of the Gospel. We taught Tino the importance of studying the word of God as found in the scriptures. As we did, we felt Heavenly Father’s pleasure in Tino’s continued commitment to study the gospel with us—even during days when she is pressed for time because of exams, rehearsals, and packing her bags to prepare for the holiday she and the other students will go on for about 5 months before coming back to study. So many members of the church here view church and spiritual matters as something one “puts off” until the time is more convenient. They have yet to realize that God's purposes should be integrated into one’s life as a priority—setting aside other things that are not convenient to worshiping, studying, and serving, the Lord. But Tino, while young in her gospel understanding, is using her time to study of Christ and His gospel as a means of succeeding in the other aspects of her life. JannaLee and I have felt her commitment, and are inspired by it.

Glenda

I think we’ve talked about Glenda before. She is a delight in her own “salty way.” She embodies the salt of the earth. Her desires are honorable, which is commendable, given all she’s gone through in her life. 

From Left: Sister Patea, Glenda, Sisters Gibbons and Rima

For a while now she has said that she isn’t going to come back to church, yet she keeps coming. However, last Sunday the Sisters informed us that Glenda’s two children are putting pressure on her not to attend church. She told the Sisters that church members are very nice, but her children are her blood. We’re not sure how this is going to turn out, but we pray that Glenda will have the determination to lead her children to the church, not allow them to influence her away from it. Families can be together forever. But they can also block each other from enjoying the blessings of eternity. One of those gospel paradoxes, I suppose. 

Yvonne Budd

Do you remember Yvonne? She is the woman whom I gave a blessing to in preparation for her to undergo cataract surgery. We’ve taught two lessons to Yvonne. The first time we met her in her home,

Yvonne with JannaLee

we were surprised with what we saw. I have never, in all my life, seen so many stuffed animals stuck on walls, hanging on ceilings, tucked around couches and chairs—even lounging in the back entrance of the flat.



That is not a stuffed animal in the chair.


 But such is Yvonne’s home.



When we first drove up to meet Yvonne, she ran to meet us in her drive way. She didn’t even let us get out of the car before greeting us. We opened the door and she pounced on us, squeezing us in a small bear hug: small, only because she has little arms. If she were a larger woman, she would have cracked my ribs. She hangs on and squeezes in increasing degrees of pressure until you can’t breathe. Then she hangs on just a little longer.





 We’ve taught Yvonne the Plan of Salvation—twice. It’s been difficult to meet with her since. We’re not quite sure what’s going on with her. She was planning to exchange flats with an adopted daughter, thinking Yvonne’s flat would be more comfortable for the daughter to live in. But that didn’t work out. Since then it’s been hard to get her to commit to a time to visit. We’ll keep trying.


Shakala’s Baptism

Shakala Marie Horn was baptized a member of the Church September 17, 2016. She asked that I baptize her.

David and Shakala before Shakala's Baptism

For some reason I’ve been nervous about this day. But my nerves were particularly keen this morning. I wondered how it would play out to visit Shakala this morning to practice how to stand, how to hold my wrist, how to plug her nose, how to sit and allow me to lay her back during the baptismal ordinance. We thought we’d practice earlier this week. But that day was a disaster. This morning was different. Although Shakala was a bit shy and hesitant to practice, she gained more confidence as she watched her little sister, Lorna, and me practice over and over again.

The afternoon came, and it was time to go to the church for the baptismal service. I got dressed in my whites. We found Shakala, and took some pictures of her. 

David, Shakala, and JannaLee
The service began. The music was nice. The talk on baptism was instructive. Two of the three children to be baptized went before Shakala. She watched them intently. I wondered what Shakala was thinking. It was anyone’s guess if she would actually go through with her baptism. But when her name was called, I motioned for her to go through the right door; I went in through the left. I walked down into the font first, then helped Shakala into the water. It was warm! That was a definite plus.

Everything went well, that is, up until the moment I was conferring with Shakala about her name. Shelley, her mother, had told me earlier that Shakala’s middle name is Marie. But when I was asking Shakala if she was ready to begin the ordinance, she nodded, then said in a random way, “My name is Maria.” It felt like she had become possessed in a way. I was surprised. I whispered back to her that it was Marie, but Shakala insisted that it was Maria. I felt trapped, conflicted. What should I say? How should I declare her name? Hoping that this was one of the “out of the mouth of babes” circumstances, I decided to follow Shakala’s lead. So I began the ordinance still unsure of what Shakala’s middle name actually was. I soon found out the moment I declared, “Shakala Maria. . . .” “It’s Marie,” I heard from the congregation—Shelley’s voice being more prominent than the rest. Now I knew. I proceeded with the ordinance. It was good on the first try. I helped Shakala up the stairs to the women’s room, then drug myself out of the font feeling 50 lbs. heavier due to being water logged. But Shakala had been baptized, and I felt a gentle assurance that Heavenly Father was pleased.

Shakala and David at the Baptism Reception












The Horn Family: Shelley (Mother), Barbara (Grandma), Lorna, Sharon (Auntie), Shakala, and Tyrone














Oamaru Again

September 13-14 JannaLee and I visited with the Osburns in Oamura again. We had a great time—as we always do. We ate lunch at the Riverstone Cafe. We went to a movie about the life of Richie McCaw—the best rugby player ever to plow the turf. 

Randy, Alecia, JannaLee in Osburn's Kitchen

We talked about our missions, the experiences we are having, our disappointment to discover how much generational abuse, incest, broken marriages, and fragmented families lie behind most everyone we meet. But we also talked about how blessed we feel to know God the way we know Him, and to understand the Savior, His atonement, the Plan of Salvation to the degree we understand it—and to have been blessed, and continue to be blessed, by their love. 

A highlight of our evening took place as we shared inspiring dreams that have given us hope throughout our lives.

We got up the next morning and went to breakfast. We then toured the street of "old town Oamaru, in which we discovered a zany, tripped-out museum/boutique. 

Old Town Oamaru


Matching Sultry Poses


Zany Museum: Faces Everywhere

A Sure Cure for Boils

Then we went up to Oamaru lookout 

A Windy Look-Out

before driving to Kakanui: a quaint town situated up close to the southern shore of the ocean. 

Kakanui Beach


We then headed back home.


Meeting Louise Moyle and Her Children

We had made arrangements to meet with Louise Moyle and her family for dinner at 5 pm. Louise is a single mother who is doing her best to raise her three children. The welcome was quite warm from Louise. But it was a little hard-going from the children. Josh was there. I recognized him from church. (He’s 18.) The daughter, Niamh (it’s Irish, pronounced “Neeve,” and she’s 14) opened up to us. Daniel (16) never did. He stayed on the computer listening to songs from his iPod and on YouTube in a sulking posture. At dinner we congratulated Josh on his skill at making the chair that JannaLee sat on. 

JannaLee, Louise, Niamh, Josh (the Chair)

We talked about this and that while eating potatoes, roast, gravy, steamed pumpkin, and peas. 

It was dusk when we finished eating dinner, so the drive from Waikouaiti was dark. I love the road from Dunedin to Oamaru in the daylight. The hills and twists and turns are fun to drive. But at night, it’s a bit dicey. I don’t know the lie of the road like I’d prefer, so those same twists and turns that I love during the day can be a bit unnerving in places. Even so, we got home safe.


The Botanical Gardens

After one of our lessons with Tino, JannaLee and I decided to take some time to walk through the botanical gardens situated close to Ryan and Bea’s home. The sun was angling from the northwest back upon the gardens when we entered.

A Flower Child



We heard that the rhododendrons were coming into bloom; that the magnolias were already blooming; that if we didn’t get to the gardens this week, we most likely would miss the show.


















The truth is it’s a bit too early to see everything in full bloom. 













Even so, JannaLee and I enjoyed a pleasant walk through the Tui-echoing fragrance of the flowers that were blooming. 



The walk was calming.




The echoes of a variety of bird songs was enchanting.


"JannaLee discovering a Pokeman."

The realization that we had returned to where we once walked a year ago felt miraculous. We’ll go again.


Two Books Gone MIA

After a week or so of putting up with our loaner car, we got the word from Bridgman Panelbeaters that our Corolla was finished. We took it in to the body shop in order to have the right, driver’s side door ironed out from being backed into three months ago. It took them that long to get it in for repair. Before taking it into the shop, I made a sign indicating that I had left four copies of the Book of Mormon on the passenger seat for anyone who is interested in reading the book. Included in the copies was our business card. I wondered how many copies would be in the car when I picked it up. To my delight, two of the copies had been taken; two were left. Some two individuals “out there” are reading the Book of Mormon. I pray they will be interested in the gospel enough to contact JannaLee and me.


Great to Be Missionaries

It’s great to serve a mission for the Lord. JannaLee and I are learning much regarding the miraculous blessing comprised in what is referred to commonly as the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. 


JannaLee, Sisters Patea, Dial, Elders Andelin, Ramirez, Pearse, Bowers


Primarily, our understanding and gratitude of Jesus has been deepened immensely through receiving personal revelation as to the reality of His outreach to us in extending His redeeming power to change, and His intimate grace to sustain and support us while we’re changing. 



One doesn’t enjoy this understanding if he’s not willing to change in connection with the truths of the principles and doctrines and commandments contained in the holy scriptures and other inspired texts. 


Elder Ramirez Out; Elder Ward In



We thank God that He’s blessing us to desire the change He and Christ continually invite us to enjoy, holding out as holy enticements the blessings awaiting us in doing so.






God bless us all to change as He would change us through the power of  His Redeeming Son,


Elder and Sister Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment