Stuck
in Our Bedroom
The
click of the doorknob at 4 am seemed a bit odd, but JannaLee thought less of it
than of crawling back in bed. By the time 7:45 am rolled around, she had
forgotten about it completely. But I was just about to discover what the sound
meant.
The short version of about an hour’s experience is that the lock on our bedroom door had broken. The doorknob would not connect with the gizmo that allows the bolt to be pulled back. After calling Richard, our landlord (“Good morning, Richard. “Ya . . . ah . . . my wife and I are locked in our bedroom. We can’t get out. . . .”) and biting my lip when JannaLee asked me if I was turning the knob when trying to open the door (“No. I didn’t think of that. I’ve been biting on this corner, trying to get enough door in my mouth to pull it free.”) we got out. We used JannaLee’s bandage scissors and her shoehorn to hammer the pins out of the door hinges. We called Richard back and told him we had escaped. When telling the story to a sister in the ward, she said, that although we’ve been in the country only a few months, it looks as though we’ve picked up some Kiwi ingenuity. Her comment moved me to wonder how many Kiwis have been stuck in their bedrooms over the years.
The short version of about an hour’s experience is that the lock on our bedroom door had broken. The doorknob would not connect with the gizmo that allows the bolt to be pulled back. After calling Richard, our landlord (“Good morning, Richard. “Ya . . . ah . . . my wife and I are locked in our bedroom. We can’t get out. . . .”) and biting my lip when JannaLee asked me if I was turning the knob when trying to open the door (“No. I didn’t think of that. I’ve been biting on this corner, trying to get enough door in my mouth to pull it free.”) we got out. We used JannaLee’s bandage scissors and her shoehorn to hammer the pins out of the door hinges. We called Richard back and told him we had escaped. When telling the story to a sister in the ward, she said, that although we’ve been in the country only a few months, it looks as though we’ve picked up some Kiwi ingenuity. Her comment moved me to wonder how many Kiwis have been stuck in their bedrooms over the years.
“If I
Would Have Known You Were Coming I’d’ve Baked You a Cake”
This
is what the Kiwi soldiers heard the American Army Band play as they docked in
Pusan harbor to join forces with the United States and South Korea to fight
along side of 21 United Nations countries, including Australia, in the Korean War. There are only 6 surviving Kiwi servicemen
living in Dunedin. Three of them attended a small celebration held in honor of
the many men and women who fought during the Korean War. The celebration was
sponsored by the Dunedin Korean Society. The President is Kiho Lee, and member
of the Dunedin 2nd Ward.
Knowing
that I served my youth mission in Korea, Brother Lee invited JannaLee and me to
the celebration. A few days before the event, Brother Lee asked JannaLee to
bake a cake: a symbolic cake to remind everyone of the song played when the
Kiwi soldiers docked in Pusan. She said she would. Then she proceeded to do
what she always does when having someone over to eat for the first time: She
makes something she never has made before. This time was no exception. However,
the cake was exceptional.

Everyone complimented JannaLee on it. Sister Lee cut the cake in thin slices—enough that she seemed to be able to serve all 50 or so attendees. It was our little miracle of the loaves and the fishes. But not quite. Some were served the second cake that JannaLee baked: an Almond sheet cake. A few, I noticed, took some from both cakes. Both the Koreans and the Kiwis love American baking.

Everyone complimented JannaLee on it. Sister Lee cut the cake in thin slices—enough that she seemed to be able to serve all 50 or so attendees. It was our little miracle of the loaves and the fishes. But not quite. Some were served the second cake that JannaLee baked: an Almond sheet cake. A few, I noticed, took some from both cakes. Both the Koreans and the Kiwis love American baking.
During
the event JannaLee and I were seated next to the Honorable Michael Woodhouse: Parliamentary
House Representative serving as Minister of Revenue, of Immigration, of
Workplace Relations and Safety.
He was kind, accommodating, and approachable. He was interested in the service JannaLee and I were providing in Dunedin as missionaries. I sent an email to him after our time together informing him about the Church’s perspective on the Savior and about the eternal nature of families. As I pushed the send key, I got the impression, “I can use that.” I hope it plants a seed in the Woodhouse Family that grows into a desire to search out, and become members of, the Church.
![]() |
| Hon. Michael Woodhouse speaking; Bro. Lee to his right |
He was kind, accommodating, and approachable. He was interested in the service JannaLee and I were providing in Dunedin as missionaries. I sent an email to him after our time together informing him about the Church’s perspective on the Savior and about the eternal nature of families. As I pushed the send key, I got the impression, “I can use that.” I hope it plants a seed in the Woodhouse Family that grows into a desire to search out, and become members of, the Church.
![]() |
| Three surviving Kiwi soldiers with wives and Past President of Korean Society (middle) |
Member Visits
While
working with the Ward Mission Leader of the Dunedin 1st Ward, Reuben
Katene, we’ve determined to visit ward members twice a month during a “cookie
run.” Our plan is to meet at a designated place, take a name or two from a
pre-arranged list, pray, and go visit these members. We’re to give them the
cookies, tell them that we’ve been thinking about them, and, if the Spirit is
right, leave a spiritual message with them. The entire event is to take no more
than an hour.
Last
week we initiated our plan. The experience was very rewarding.
Elder Andelin and I paired up. We visited Ethan Gaffney’s parents. These are people in their 50s, not members of the Church, who are supportive of their 18 year-old serving a mission to Birmingham, England. They began taking the lessons just before Ethan left. But since he’s gone, they’ve stopped.
![]() |
| Tipene and Georgia after Visits |
Elder Andelin and I paired up. We visited Ethan Gaffney’s parents. These are people in their 50s, not members of the Church, who are supportive of their 18 year-old serving a mission to Birmingham, England. They began taking the lessons just before Ethan left. But since he’s gone, they’ve stopped.
Elder
Andelin and I made our way up the steep slope to the stairs, then up two flights of
stairs to their door. We knocked. They came to the door. They were pleasant
enough. They didn’t invite us in, because their flat was torn up due to having
carpet laid that day.
They were happy with the cookies we left, and with our
celebration of their son: his choice to serve a mission, his being a good boy,
our loving him. Although they didn’t invite us in, they didn’t push us away. In
fact, two or three times they came out with us further and further onto the
porch to extend our conversation when we were trying to say goodbye. I had
intended to leave a scripture with them, and my testimony. But as I tried to
find a way of sharing it, the Spirit constrained me, letting me know that our
friend-shipping was doing its work toward preparing the Gaffney’s to begin
taking the lessons in due time. By the time we finished, and made our way down
the rocky, hilly pathway to the parking area below their home, Elder Andelin
and I were feeling quite good about the visit.
JannaLee
and her companion, Sister Shahmay Smith, visited a young woman who has been
taking the lessons, but, for reasons we couldn’t perceive, had decided to quit.
It turns out that she had concerns about the judgmental-ness of people, because
she was projecting her experiences upon God. “Why does God have to judge
people?” was her question. Her real question was “Why are people so
judgmental—even to the point of assuming that God is on their side when they
accuse others behavior”? The concern this young woman had was why it is that
people in the Church cared so much about whether someone is gay or lesbian or
whether they have a sex change—or whatever. JannaLee and Sister Smith taught
this young woman about the pre-mortal existence: how gender is an eternal
factor in our identities, and that, even though people can’t judge each other
perfectly, God can, and does. He wants us all to be happy by fulfilling our
potential in this and the next life. We can’t fulfill that potential if we make
choices contrary to His Plan and inconsistent with who we really are. She was
satisfied with their discussion—so much so that she wants to continue with the
lessons, and is on her way to being baptized.
![]() |
| JannaLee, Ethan, Jesse, and Theresa after last Temple Prep Class |
![]() |
| More Members: Isaac Anderson, Asher |
A
Light about Her
Last
night we enjoyed a second discussion with a middle aged woman. I’ll call her
Megan. Megan was noticeably moved when, at the conclusion of our time together,
JannaLee and I told her that, as far as we’re concerned, she’s a success. This
we said, knowing that she is working hard to break her drug, alcohol, and
tobacco habits. She’s been working on doing so for years. But since our first
meeting with her just after we came into the country, she has a light in her countenance
that is noticeable.
At the
beginning of our discussion I qualified what we would be doing by telling Megan
that we wanted to conduct our time together as a discussion. It wasn’t to be
all pointed at her, with Sister Ward and I sitting in as spectators. I wanted
us to discuss the doctrines together in the hope that our discussion would
teach Megan what she needed to know, and the rest of us what we needed to
learn.
The
Spirit was with us as we discussed Megan’s baptism and the laying on of hands
that she received as a 12 year-old. It bore witness of how significant these
two ordinances were to her eternal progression, because they had been performed
by those holding the priesthood of God.
On the
way home, JannaLee asked Megan if we were answering the questions she has. “Oh,
for sure!” was her answer. “I’m so glad that I’m taking these lessons. I’m
learning so much.” We were happy to hear this, since Megan has a tendency to
act like she knows more than she does, because she’s trying to catch up on her
life from the many years she trashed it through addictions. She often compares
things to the drug culture. I told JannaLee that we can’t blame her for doing
so, for that is the main culture she has known. But, as I said, Megan has a
greater light about her countenance. She’s changing. There is a shift in her
life taking place: a shift by the Spirit, because of her willingness to read
the Book of Mormon and study the gospel openly and honestly.
Pulgogi
Dinner
Last
night we ate kimchi at the Han’s home. Terry and Jinha live in the Dunedin 1st
Ward close to Ryan and Bea. They invited us over to introduce Elders Andelin
and Ramirez and us to Mike and Cheryl, who are non-member neighbors. (Terry
doesn’t know their last name.) Ever since Mike offered to mow Terry’s back
yard, they have been friends. He and his wife, Cheryl, are about 58 years old.
Mike is a chatty person and a retired librarian. His wife is more reserved, and
currently works at the Dunedin Public Library. Terry discussed their situation
with us before they showed up. I wondered what they thought when they arrived.
As soon as they walked through the living room entrance, four hands reached out
to greet them: four hands connected to arms that lead to black missionary tags.
I wonder if they felt surrounded by the Mormons.
They didn’t seem to be put off by all the “brass.” We ate a Pulgogi dinner with them. We talked, socialized. I chatted off and on in Korean with Terry, Jinha, and with the Han’s 17-month-old boy: Jaywon. It was fun to do. Once again we recognized the blessing of living in a warm place. Terry and Jinha’s flat is cold. When we first entered, we could see our breath. They turned the heat pump on for a time, but soon turned it off. Electricity is so expensive here in Dunedin. All most people can do is warm their flat enough to thaw the ice crystals made from the humidity in the air. The time we spent at the Hans was enjoyable, notwithstanding the cold.
![]() |
| Elder and Sister Ward, Jinha, JayWon, Elders Andelin and Ramirez, and Terry |
They didn’t seem to be put off by all the “brass.” We ate a Pulgogi dinner with them. We talked, socialized. I chatted off and on in Korean with Terry, Jinha, and with the Han’s 17-month-old boy: Jaywon. It was fun to do. Once again we recognized the blessing of living in a warm place. Terry and Jinha’s flat is cold. When we first entered, we could see our breath. They turned the heat pump on for a time, but soon turned it off. Electricity is so expensive here in Dunedin. All most people can do is warm their flat enough to thaw the ice crystals made from the humidity in the air. The time we spent at the Hans was enjoyable, notwithstanding the cold.
Olive
Slips
It was
5:15 pm. JannaLee and I were waiting for the Wards to show up to drop off Fern
before taking June and Olive to Arial Silk Class. Instead of their showing up,
the phone rang. Bea was on the other end, talking quickly with an unsettling
excitement in her voice. “Olive was running into Arial Silk Class, and slipped
and fell. We think she broke her arm. We’re talking her to the hospital. Was
wondering if you could take Henry and Fern, so Iris can stay with June during
her class.” Of course, was our answer. So, instead of heading off to watch the
two girls exercise on the silk, JannaLee and I watched for Bea to drive up to
pick up the kids. Soon she was here. Bea was understandably shaken up. She was
heading over to the hospital with Watson to meet Ryan and Olive.
I
drove over to the Arial Silk class. I stayed for fifteen minutes watching June
perform a routine called “the crucifix drop.” She loved performing it. Finally
we left. As soon as June saw JannaLee when getting back to our flat she crumpled.
She had been saying that she was sorry that she challenged Olive to race her. Olive
took off across the grass. It’s been snowing and raining all day. The grass was
slippery. Olive hit a super slippery spot and went down. We didn’t know for a
long time, but Olive ended up breaking both bones in her right arm just above
her wrist.
June suspected the worst. So that when she saw JannaLee she folded in her arms and began to sob. It was obvious she felt the accident had been her fault. Try as we might we couldn’t console June. So JannaLee took her into our bedroom to pray.
June suspected the worst. So that when she saw JannaLee she folded in her arms and began to sob. It was obvious she felt the accident had been her fault. Try as we might we couldn’t console June. So JannaLee took her into our bedroom to pray.
After
their prayer, they attempted to open the door to come out. The door held fast.
The lock hadn’t been fixed, although Nick installed the so-called fixed
mechanisms this afternoon—even trying them to make sure they worked. Now
JannaLee and June were prisoners in the bedroom. This time, however, I could
feed them tools from the outside. But I couldn’t give them the hammer and
screwdriver. They couldn’t loosen the pins from the hinges to take them out. So
I put my hammer in the side of my pants, and the screwdriver inside my fleece,
and made my way, Mission Impossible style, up the fire escape to the bedroom
window. It’s interesting to me that fire escapes don’t extend down to the ground;
they begin about one foot higher than one is tall. So you need to jump to catch
the first rung, then muscle your way up to the next two rungs before you can
secure your foot onto the first rung. This I did, but only with the help of
unseen ancestors from the other side giving me a leg-up.
I made
it up to the window. Now the trick was getting into the room, since the widow
hovers about four feet above the bedroom floor. I somehow negotiated that. I
think I just fell onto the bed. In the bedroom June and I worked on the hinges.
While we were doing so, I thought this was a great distraction for June. We
finally got the door off its hinges and walked free into the hallway.
Periodically
we got texts and voice messages from Ryan and Bea. Olive was doing fine. They
were waiting for the doctors to set and cast her arm. The last we’ve heard is
that Olive is under anesthetic. They were setting her arm. Casting was to
follow. We finally got word that Olive and the rest were home.
We visited Olive the following day, and gave her a book mark that JannaLee made. God bless you, Olive.

We visited Olive the following day, and gave her a book mark that JannaLee made. God bless you, Olive.
We
love you all. We pray for your welfare. We pray that you’re doing your best, as
we strive to do ours, to live true to Christ in all things, so that we can be
sealed as an eternal family.










No comments:
Post a Comment